I’m a professional yoga therapist and an experienced yoga teacher.
I’ve been practicing yoga for 23 years and teaching for 13 years. My work is influenced by my personal drive to learn and understand anatomy, physiology, and neurology and to integrate eastern and western methodologies in order to deepen the healing and therapeutic effects of the yoga practice.
I’ve dedicated many years to serving others with acute and chronic pain, as well as providing modalities for healing and rehabilitating injuries, and working with those who have mental health needs and neurological issues. My work combines postures, therapeutic movement, self-myofascial release, breathing techniques, meditation, and Ayurveda. I also have extensive experience teaching those with chronic pain functional movement and exercise to help improve overall strength and stability.
I am a certified Yoga Therapist with the International Association of Yoga Therapists and am a qualified and experienced yoga teacher (500E-RYT) and continued education provider (YACEP) with Yoga Alliance. I’ve logged over 9,000 teaching and training hours in Yoga Therapy, Hatha and Vinyasa Alignment Yoga, PT-based Yoga Therapeutics, Meditation, Yoga Philosophy, Ayurveda and Prenatal Yoga.
Before teaching yoga, my tenacity to get work done as an engineer could at times push me to the edge. Read my story. When I suffered a repetitive stress injury that eventually led to chronic pain, I realized that my yoga practice was the inner work component I needed to support my physical and mental healing. Yoga became a catalyst for change in my life. I now use my experience in teaching others to explore their practice in ways that work for them to improve and manage their physical, mental and social well-being. My goal is to empower others to live a better and healthier life.
Accreditations and Training
- Accredited Yoga Therapist, C-IAYT
- Registered YACEP (Continuing Education Provider for Yoga Teachers)
- Total HealthWorks Total Parkinson’s Instructor Certification, 2022
- ADPA Parkinson’s Disease Awareness Training for Fitness Professionals, 2021
- Yoga Therapy for Depression Certificate, Gary Kraftsow, 2020
- NASM Corrective Exercise Specialization, current
- 800-hour IAYT Yoga Therapy Training, Stress Management Center of Marin, 2018 & 2020
- Yoga Therapy for Anxiety Certificate, Gary Kraftsow, 2019
- Mindful, Trauma Informed Yoga Certificate, Yoga Medicine, 2019
- Yoga Anatomy Training Certificate, Yoga Medicine, 2017
- Recognizing Red Flags Certificate, Yoga Medicine, 2017
- Conducting a Comprehensive Evaluation in a Therapeutic Setting Certificate, Yoga Medicine, 2017
- SmartFLOW Sadhana Advanced Practice, Annie Carpenter, 2016
- SmartFLOW Advanced Teacher Module (50 hours,) Annie Carpenter, 2015
- Teacher Assistant for three 200-hr Yoga Alliance certified Teacher Trainings with Les Leventhal, 2013 & 2014
- 300-hour Advanced Teacher Training, Yoga Tree, 2014
- Yoga Therapeutics and Advanced Anatomy, Harvey Deutch, PT, 2014
- Prenatal Teacher Training, Jane Ausin, 2011
- InnerYoga and Yin, Dina Amsterdam, 2011
- Mentoring program and Assistant Teacher for Les Leventhal, 2011-2013
- 200-hour Certified Hatha Yoga Teacher Training, Les Leventhal and Destiny Eurkus, 2010
- BS, Civil Engineering, University of Buffalo, 1995 (my methodical mind matters)
And, if you’re curious about one way I like to nourish myself during my off-time – I like to cook.